Small Addition How to help?

Old 02-23-08, 11:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Small Addition How to help?

Got my hands on an old house and once I cleanup the junk my first project is to tackle a kitchen remodel. This shall be an ongoing project with this house moving my way throughout, kind of a hobby of mine.

Links to pictures below. I'll be squaring off the back of the house. The stucco is irrelevant as it will also be sided in the near future. This area is currently covered by a concrete patio. It has a brick foundation.

The house floor sits roughly 3 feet above this patio. I'm thinking of pouring foundation walls of some sort then the walls can be built on up to match the roof above.

Looking for information on how to tie the new walls into the exisiting foundation. Should I break up the patio to add footings below or just build on top of the patio? Just looking for suggestions and ideas before I tear into a new project.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 02-24-08, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Yes, you'll bust out the concrete so as to put down a footing that is at the appropriate depth for your area that will serve as a starting point for your new foundation walls. It will be a lot of work to add about 24 sq. ft. to your home. I'm not sure it will be cost effective, but you must have thought of that already too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: