Stucco on grey cement blocks

Old 02-28-08, 01:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stucco on grey cement blocks

I have a seventy foot long and 5 foot high grey 20 years old cement block fence in good condition in the back of my yard.
It is just ugly there and wish to refinish it.
First option is just paint with a masonry exterior paint.
Second option is to stucco.
Third: stucco and paint to match the house color.
Any other options? Since it is a do it yourself job, I wish to do it the easy but nice looking way.

Questions:
1. Can I just use a single layer stucco in final color? Need instructions how to do it. I did a lot of diy in the past but not stuccoing yet.
2. When I want to match color, how to combine the single layer stucco with a masonry paint?
3. Do I need to use the conventional three layer stucco? I wish I didn't have to.
4. What stucco finish should I use (like smooth, swirl, etc)? How to do them?
5. How to make sure that stucco will adhere well to the cement blocks?

Please advise. Appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-06-08, 12:21 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. Wouldn't recommend it, it cracks and doesn't stick as well.
2. You wouldn't do a single layer stucco. You can bring in a paint sample from your house/wall to your stucco supplier and have them make up a finish coat to match that colour.
3. Also known as DAFS, it would be the best way to go. Just to clarify:
- The mesh allows some flexibility/tolerance
- The basecoat allows you to fill holes/gaps to create a smooth surface, and is better suited to the finish coat (adhesive-wise) than other substrates.
- The finish coat can be textured to your choice, and will have a smooth basecoat to go over.
4. It's personal taste. Applying a finish coat does require some skill but if you have any skill with drywall mud you should be ok. I would even recommend getting a stucco "pro" or tradesman to help you for a few hours to a day to help you get your technique down and give you some pointers.
5. Make sure the concrete block is free of oil, dirt/dust, loose materials and is dry. Again, use the 3-coat or DAFS (direct applied finish system).

Old 09-06-08, 05:31 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Surewall is an option. comes in grey and white. can be tinted with masonry tint. i've sprayed it with a textures ceiling sprayer with good results. similar products under different names are available. i'd stay away from traditional stucco and would not paint it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: