Sun Room built on piers

Old 03-02-08, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sun Room built on piers

Hi, We have a sunroom, built on 27, 6''x6'' p.t. piers 16 years ago. The piers are placed on concrete footings and concrete is 2' deep, below the frost line. Later, we added a deck around this room, so now it's difficult to know what condition those piers are in, but am going to attempt to scuttle under there for a look. If I find the posts are deteriorating, what would be my course of action?

The roof to this sunroom is tied into the main roof of the house, and the room is a completely finished living space with a ceramic tile floor. I don't think there's enough room to get under there to dig, although I could remove the deck boards to do so.

Thanks for any advice or ideas. Connie

Old 03-02-08, 04:36 PM
Unhappy Oh, I thought carpenters....

...knew everything! Could the moderator move my post to a more appropriate forum?

Thank you. C

Last edited by connie; 03-02-08 at 04:37 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a hoot.
Old 03-03-08, 08:23 PM
Done, and done!

Thought this question was better off in this forum.

Herm
Moderator, carpentry forum

Old 03-03-08, 08:27 PM
T
If the ceramic tile is not showing signs of cracking, I would spend my time on other things.

Old 03-04-08, 04:07 AM
Thanks, Herm...I tried it in architecture, too!

Tscarborough, thanks for your reply. There are a few tiles cracking, but they've always done that. The floor is 2 sheets of 3/4 ply, glued and screwed, but it was before I'd ever heard of hardibacker and ditra.

Also a couple of drywall seams under the bottom of the bulkhead have opened, but again, we had a problem with that when the room was new.

We did dip the cut ends of the posts before we set them for the sun room, but didn't do the ones for the deck a couple of years later.

I've seen the 4x4's, used in landscaping, rot after a few years of ground contact, and I guess I have visions of that occurring right under my feet!

So, IF those posts were deteriorating, I know ordinarily you'd support it with a jack, take out the old and put in a new, but there's just no room to dig under there.

Also, if the deck posts are deteriorating, might the deck be "pulling down" on the sun room?

(The sun room is 18x30, hexagonal at the end and the deck wraps all the way around it.

Thanks, Connie

Old 03-04-08, 04:27 AM
S
carpenters do think they,,,

know everything which really upsets those of us who do

Old 03-04-08, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete
carpenters do think they,,, know everything which really upsets those of us who do

D'oh!

Herm
Moderator, carpentry forum

Old 03-05-08, 05:43 AM
Smile

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I was so concerned about this possible problem that I had also posted in the architecture forum. I did get another reply there agreeing with Tscarborough.
(Please don't think I was second-guessing you, T, but like at the doctor's...I wanted a second opinion)

Have a great day.

Connie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: