Concrete pad question

Old 03-11-08, 12:49 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete pad question

I'm putting in two 2,500 gallon water tanks and will be pouring a slab for them to sit on. The tanks are 8 feet across and I want to set them about 8 or 10 feet apart, so am planning on a 12 x 24 foot pad at 4" deep. Will be putting in remesh and rebar and digging some footings (about the size of a 5 gallon bucket) near the corners and along the long sides.

We just poured a 12x12 slab and have a good feel for what it takes.. However, should I put an expansion joint in this slab? and if so, what do I use? Just a 2x6 board or is there something else that should be done?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-11-08, 06:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I doubt you need an expansion joint in the slab, better to form/cut a control joint in the middle. Carry your bar/wire through the joint and form/cut a joint at least a 1/3 as deep as the slab. The loading is less than 400 PSI so it isn't critical.

Old 03-11-08, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete pad question

The "bucket sized" footings are a waste of time. A continuous thickened edge would be better, but you have already done what you think is best. - I assume frost is not a concern and the 20,000# tanks are bearing uniformly on the slab without ant support points.

I would keep the slabs for each tank separate from each other. You never know what will happen with one full and one empty, no matter how you plumb them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: