Can I Stain Concrete Pavers?

Old 03-13-08, 08:09 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I bought a house with a 12x12 patio made out of concrete pavers - each about 12" square. They're mostly gray but with a pattern in a (formerly) red color in the middle. I say formerly because the whole thing looks to be about 10-15 years old and very faded. They're in good repair, but just old looking.

Behind this is a 5x12 concrete slab. I'm hoping to connect the two with a walkway. However, I'd also like to update the whole look in some way. Redoing it all from scratch is out of my price range. I stumbled upon the idea of staining the whole thing to at least make it all look newer and fresher. I know I can do that with the slab, but could I also do it with the concrete pavers or would they be too porous? Also, would the stain take differently in the pavers that are the more reddish color instead of the gray?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-08, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You do not have real concrete pavers (high strength, low absorption specifications), but really concrete stepping stones that have variable properties that can have unknown properties. They are not predictable like real pavers and they can be good or bad.

Because the wide range of possible properties of the stepping stones, the only thing I can suggest is to try it on a stone and see how it takes. Then hope the rest will be similar.

Stains are not permanent, so be prepared for maintenance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: