My Driveway

Old 03-16-08, 04:48 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 5 Posts
My Driveway

My house sits up on a slight hill. The house's across from me sit down even with the street. My car is front wheel drive.
My driveway is at such a steep slope that when it snows/ice's I shovel it and then sprinkle ice melt on it and then I can get up.
Is there anything I can do that wouldn't cost a lot of money to make it easier to get up?
Maybe some kind of road bump type things...LOL...I don't know!
Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Old 03-16-08, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My Driveway

Without doing anything, backing uo the hill is easier with front wheel drive and a steady foot on the pedal.

Bumps only cause you to lose traction. Using sand after some ice melt will help with traction - ice melt takes a while.

Old 03-16-08, 06:23 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How will backing up the hill make it easier? I used to have a pickup that was rear wheel drive. If I wanted to get out of a rut, I backed out of it.
Hey, I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Old 03-16-08, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My Driveway

Backing a front wheel drive up a steep hill just puts more weight on the driving wheels to get more traction. You just have to be able to be steady on the gas, stay straight and keep momentum (especially important if you are in snow).

It the same thing that people do when they put weight in the back of a pick-up, which is short on weight over the driving wheels. Some pick-ups had better gearing in reverse if you were in mud.

If you are a "flatlander" on ice, then it just a question of throttle control, momentum and keeping momentum uphill. Speed bumps screw up drainage, do not help and can create ice patches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: