Heated Driveway

Old 03-16-08, 09:13 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Driveway

We have a steep, north facing driveway that I would LOVE to replace with a heated driveway. We were just told it would cost a fortune. My husband is pretty handy so I'm wondering if maybe he could do it instead of hiring someone. The thing he can't do is remove and pour the driveway. Is there a way that we could do the heated part and hire someone to remove and pour the driveway?

Old 03-17-08, 04:12 AM
P
I'm sure it can be done, but it will still cost a fortune. The heating systems alone are outrageous. Research them first, and when you find one you like, contact a local concrete contractor for the removal and replacement, telling them what you're hoping to accomplish.

Pecos

Old 03-17-08, 06:22 AM
L
Are there systems at Home Depot or Lowes?

Old 03-17-08, 07:30 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warmzone is the leader in radiant driveway heating systems. They will sell direct to consumers. http://www.warmzone.com/

Old 03-17-08, 08:38 AM
P
Lisa, I seriously doubt that a big box store will carry something like that, and if they did, it would most likely not be a "professional grade" product. Typically, the stuff they carry is geared more toward homeowners and the quality is not nearly the same. Anything you buy (anywhere) will likely cost thousands of dollars for the heating system. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 03-17-08, 08:49 AM
L
Thank you for your responses even though I wish the answer was different. I guess I'll be shoveling next year.

Old 03-17-08, 09:28 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveway heating system would be used 3-4 months of the year. Considering costs, you would likely not reach the break even point in this life time and maybe not the next, depending on size of driveway and type of system selected.

Old 03-17-08, 04:30 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you don't need a lot of heat,,,

'cause, once you get your conc up to 34/36f, the snow'll melt,,, you'll need a heat source, some pex tubing, 2 pumps, & a cooperative concrete contractor.

some use elec mats but we used a gas-fired wtr htr like i did for my dad,,, he only starts it up when its going to snow as its manual turn on/off,,, hot wtr goes to a insulated barrel in which a coil's been installed - heat's transferred to the d/w system in the barrel,,, the system works on a antifreeze/wtr mix & has work'd fine for the last 7 yrs in upstate ny,,, last yr's operation cost about $250,,, used mtls made the investment about $900.

guess it depends on one's definition of ' a fortune ',,, if i could amortize over 4 yrs, that'd be a home for me,,, good luck !

Old 03-17-08, 05:44 PM
so-elite, that's such an amazing idea! I'm going to print it and save it in case I have an opportunity to use it.

Old 03-17-08, 08:34 PM
S
no one said you could,,,

use the idea while avoiding exorbitant licensing fees,,, ask me about my homemade hot-tub sometime

Old 03-18-08, 06:13 AM
Oh, no, just look in the "pool spa and hot tub forum". Unless you write under a pen name, someone's beaten you to the punch on the home made hot tub

Old 03-18-08, 07:47 AM
S
saw that, con,,,

m mouse design & contg lives evidently cement board, indeed even respond'd to the post.

mine was better & MUCH stronger,,, thinking of what to do here in atl,,, ferro-cement seems like a good idea now 'cause a crane's not feasible for this site.

Old 03-23-08, 08:06 AM
W
Lisa:
Depending on the make-up and condition of your driveway, you could retro-fit a low voltage system. Don't let the electric side of it scare you. In most applications, they're more efficient then hydronics (water in tubing).

I don't recommend your husband do the saw cutting. Hire a local concrete saw cutter for that. But he could definitly do the rest. It is labor intensive (thus the cost to install) but it is possible.

http://www.comfortradiant.com/snow-melting.php

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: