Retaining Wall Mortar is crumbling

Old 03-24-08, 12:13 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Retaining Wall Mortar is crumbling

Hello - Along the side and back of our yard is a large stone retaining wall holding back the side neighbor's yard and the hillside above our patio. The highest point of the wall is probably about 7 or 8 feet. There is a slight tilt to the wall (which is I believe at least 20 - 25 years old), although it feels very stable. Yesterday I noticed that the mortar was cracked and crumbling along one section of the wall. One of our neighbor's trees is right above this section. Any thoughts on how concerned I should be about this? I have visions of the whole thing failing and having our neighbor's tree and yard spilling into ours. Our home inspector noted the tilt and suggested we consult a masonry contractor, but didn't seem extremely worried about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 03-24-08, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy

it appears as if the neighbor's tree roots are starting to push your wall over! I WOULD BE CONCERNED! retaining walls, once they start moving, hardly ever stop. you may be able to redo the wall and installing a few dead men retainers to help hold the dirt and roots. if the tree stays, it can only get worse. GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-24-08, 04:45 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your home inspector was pretty bad. Why would he suggest a masonry contractor to inspect your possible future neighbor's property? The proper call on his part would have been to raise the issue, then you contact your agent and let THEM deal with it before you contracted the property.

As it is, there is nothing much you can do, other than talk to the neigbor, pay your insurance, and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: