Interlocking Block Wall

Old 03-25-08, 07:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interlocking Block Wall

Hi -

My wife and I are taking bids on a paver patio to be installed. One thing we will need is a wall of some sort at one end of the patio. One contractor wanted $2100 to put the wall in. For us, the wall was kind of an afterthought, sort of like "OK what do you want to do here?"

Anyway, I've been looking at doing something myself, and am wondering about these interlocking blocks that are available in the big-box stores. I thing it would be a little step up from landscape timbers.

Anyone know how tall one of these walls could go? After some excavation to make everything level, we would probably need something 3 to 4 feet high.

Thanks - Dave

Old 03-25-08, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Interlocking Block Wall

the highest iterlocking/segmental retaining wall I have seen was up to 45' high and about a mile long. Usually if you are under 4' high it does not have to be engineered/designed. - Check on the local height limitations.

Segmental retaining walls should NEVER have a concrete footing, but are set on a layer of compacted gravel. Mortar and rebar are NEVER used either. For high walls (over 5' depending on the soil type) geo-grid (fabric mesh) may be used in the backfill behind the wall to reiniforce the soil.

Look at the sites for the major retaining wall units (Allan Block, Anchor Wall systems, Keystone and Versalok) for ideas and methods to construct.

I doubt you will get any intellengent help at a big box store, but a landscape/hardscape dealer could be a big help.

Most of the companies that sell concrete pavers also sell segmental retaining wall block.

Dick

Old 03-25-08, 07:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. We are pretty handy, my wife and I, but the paver patio is beyond us. However, the wall may be within our skill level. I will probably ask whoever does the patio to hog out just enough of the land and prepare it for us. A couple hundred bucks spent on that part would be worth it to us.

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: