repair missing bricks on side of house

Old 03-28-08, 06:40 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
repair missing bricks on side of house

After a plumbing issue, I now have a hole in the side of my brick house that needs to be repaired. I am thinking that I will
line up my spare brick to see the sizes I have
measure and plan the places to place each brick
clean out the hole so that no jagged edges or mortar
mix up some kind of mortar (need help on this)
then butter and set

Am I missing anything?

I may need to place a board up against the brick to keep it in place for a few hours to set good.

Old 03-28-08, 06:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can buy a bag of morter mix at any big box store. Mix it to the consistency of cake frosting (follow any specific directions on the bag)...,butter your bricks - and lay them. Trim away the "slop" right away with the sharp edge of your trowel, trying to avoid making a mess on the face of the bricks. Once the morter has dried to the point your fingernail doesn't leave an impression - finish it off with any sort of tool to create a matching pattern with the existing morter (I usually get by with a piece of tree branch in the right diameter). A few days after you laid the brick, you can clean off the residue with a mixture of sulphuric acid and water (use caution) - available again, at any big box store. Recognize that the color of the morter won't match exactly the old stuff (age/brand/etc.)... but at least the hole will be gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: