drain tile and townhouse foundations

Old 03-31-08, 12:24 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
drain tile and townhouse foundations

Hi-

I live in an end unit townhouse build in 2001. There are 2 other townhouse units all attached together for a total of 3 in our little triplex.

When a builder puts drain tile around the foundation for a multi-unit building, like our townhouses, is all the drain tile interconnected as one large drain around all 3 townhouses? I assume it is because the foundation is poured as one large foundation for all 3 units at the same time and the tile is placed around the perimeter of the foundation?

And I hope I am using the correct term. What I am referring to is the "tubing" that is placed around the base of the foundation that collects the water and drains into our respective sump pump pits (each townhouse unit in our triplex has a sump pump and pit in our respective basements).

Thanks,
ualdriver

P.S. If they are all interconnected, follow up question shortly

Old 08-29-14, 05:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My guess is that it is all interconnected

Old 08-29-14, 06:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where are the sump pumps located?

Old 08-29-14, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thread is more than 6 years old. OP probably went elsewhere for answers.

Old 08-29-14, 06:38 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Davowavo.....although as mentioned above I asked this question back in '08 but surprisingly I didn't get an answer.

The original reason why I was asking was because I was debating whether or not I needed to put a back-up sump pump in. Our sump pump is relatively active during the spring thaw and during periods of multiple days of rain. I figured that if all of our units were interconnected, the other 2 sump pumps in the adjoining 2 townhouse units would effectively be my "back-up sump pump" in that the water level would rise in my sump pump pit but then flow to the other 2 connected townhomes through the interconnected drain tile and get pumped out by their pumps if my pump were to fail.

In the end, I ended up putting in a battery back up pump, anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: