Laundry Pole Removal

Old 04-10-08, 07:29 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Laundry Pole Removal

I bought an older home with 4 old fashioned laundry poles in the ground, in cement. I am a gril, short of digging them up, is there another way to remove? Can I get a bobcat and push them over-bringing the concrete with them?

Old 04-10-08, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Upvotes on 194 Posts
You could, but that would be a little expensive. You might try a local towing company; if they are accessible to a wrecker they could throw a chain around them at the base and yank them up with the boom & winch. Most wreckers have 100' of cable on the winch, so they wouldn't have to get real close. I do all kinds of non-automotive stuff and for what you are talking about I would probably charge less than $100.

Old 04-10-08, 05:23 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Poles

I would not want to take any business away from towguy, but I would ask a friend with a 4x4 truck to yank them out.

Old 04-10-08, 06:14 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You could also invite some brawny lads over for burgers and brew in exchange for digging them out. If you play your cards right, it's likely they would not pass up an opportunity to flex their muscles.

Old 04-11-08, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
I would not want to take any business away from towguy, but I would ask a friend with a 4x4 truck to yank them out.
Same results, but you have to have a friend with a 4x4 and they would have to drive a lot closer (unless they had a winch).

Could also saw them off at ground level and leave the concrete there.

Old 04-11-08, 10:07 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use a 2X4 and a chain to do what you're trying to do. I lay the 2X4 on the ground alongside the post in question - with about one foot on one side of the post and the rest on the other side... Wrap the chain around the post and the 2X4 - and raise the "long end" of the 2X4. It's a lever/fulcrum type of process that has always worked for me (might need to put a block of wood under the short end to keep it from sinking into the earth as you raise the long end).

Though I enjoy the idea of yanking it out with a truck!

Old 04-17-08, 06:29 AM
W
Laundry Pole Removal

Well, Tried The 4x4 And Yank, Yank, Yank. Tried A Comealong, Crank, Crank, Crank.
Still In The Ground. Concrete And Pole Are At Least 3 Feet Deep. Couldn't Get The Pole To Separate From The Concrete. I Am Now Thinking To Sawzall The Pole Below Grade And Leave Concrete In The Ground. If The Sawzall Don't Work, Then I Will See If I Can Find A Torch And Cut It Off. Or Find A Bobcat With Forks...still Looking For Suggestions.

Old 04-17-08, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Laundry Pole

Did you soak the ground for 4 to 8 hours before trying to pull it out? This dramatically reduces the soil resistance.

Old 04-17-08, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
I can have them out in 10 minutes, but it'll cost you $3/mile for me to get there.

Old 04-18-08, 12:23 PM
T
Lightbulb Laundry Pole can be conquered with a Sawzall

We had this very same challenge a few weeks ago. After my s/o spent an hour digging and found 3 feet of concrete for the anchor (which we would never have been able to lift out of the hole), I brought out the Sawzall (aka reciprocating saw) with a metal cutting blade. Twenty seconds later the pole was cut and problem SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: