leaking steps

Old 04-11-08, 02:04 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking steps

I live in a split level home, with the living and dining area below ground. My kitchen has a sliding glass door that leads to steps up to ground level. The stairs are concrete. When we have a heavy rain, the patio is dry but water rushes through the steps along with a lot of mud. I am concerned that the ground underneath the patio and steps is getting washed away which might cause the patio and steps to fall in. Is there a way of sealing the steps to prevent the rain and mud to come through? I am also conerned that if I do seal them up, the water will find another way through and possible come into the house. Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-11-08, 02:11 AM
K
I'm having trouble visualizing this. Can you upload a pic and link it?

Failing that, prepare for one long boring interrogation about the layout and design of these steps!

Old 04-11-08, 05:46 AM
C
Leaking steps notwithstanding, you might take a look a how you are managing the water initially. Directing it away from your house with gutters and drains and landscaping should be the first consideration.

Old 04-11-08, 06:38 AM
M
We have taken all the steps to keep water away from the house. And I cleaned the gutters just this week. When it rains, the steps look like a waterfall and mudslide all at the same time. I have considered mudjacking, but don't know if it will solve the problem. I will try and upload a picture.

Old 04-11-08, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
leaking steps

Do you have proper length (8') downspout extensions. Clean gutters do little good if you do not direct the water away so it flows away from the house.

Old 04-11-08, 09:59 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Have you been outdoors during a heavy rain to assess how the water is getting in? Water follows the path of least resistance. Is patio sloping toward the entry? Does lawn slope away from patio to carry away excess water? Does patio abutt the structure and is there a gap where water enters? Does patio set higher than door threshold? Are gutters too small to accommodate heavy rain? Would rain diverter on roof help?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: