Reasonable Cost Stamped Concrete

Old 04-14-08, 05:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Cost Stamped Concrete

Hi Everyone:

I'm looking into having a new concrete patio/side yard installed and am looking at cost. I need my old patio/side yard removed and am looking at installing aproximately 910 square feet of stamped concrete (with two colors, a plain brushed border, and sealed). I have three wildly varying quotes and am not sure what is right or to good to be true. I have quotes of 6000, 7500 and 9000. All contractors apear to be reasonably qualified based on their work. What is a reasonable cost? I'm in Northern California Bay Area, if that matters.

Thank you.

Mike

Old 04-14-08, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Mike and welcome to the DIY Forums!

I'm not sure we can give you advice about pricing, but I can tell you a few things to look for to perhaps help you narrow your decision...

Be sure the contractor is licensed, bonded and insured to work in your county. The license # should be on the contract, and you should call the BBB to be sure there are no outstanding claims against the contractor that may spell disaster for you.

Ask for references and then call. Visit a couple of former customers if at all possible....not just the most recent, but a couple of older jobs, to see how the concrete is holding up.

Get a signed contract with a start date and a completion date. You may be asked to place a deposit, but do not pay in full until job is completed to your satisfaction.

The contractor should pull permits, get inspections and call Miss Utility to have lines marked before beginning construction.

The best jobs are the ones with communication between you and the contractor. Ask, if you have questions- the contractor does not read minds . Get everything settled beforehand and try not to make changes after the contract is signed.

Connie

Old 04-15-08, 03:19 AM
P
I'm a stamped concrete contractor in Indiana where the cost of living is much lower than California. My price would be much closer to the $9,000 one than to the others.
There are many factors to consider besides price when choosing a contractor. The first and foremost is the experience of the actual crew who will be installing your work. Are they newly hired or have they been doing this for a long time? An old, established company may have an entirely new and inexperienced crew. Find out who is actually going to be installing your job, and go see jobs done by them. Look at jobs which are at least 3 years old, as well as their most recent. Compare the quality.
If possible, talk to the homeowners apart from the contractor to get their true feelings about the experience. They will be harsher than if he were present. Ask a lot of questions. Make sure that they are not related to the contractor or have another connection to him. Look for unbiased customers if possible.
The suggestions about the BBB, etc. are good as well. Do your research, and get everything spelled out COMPLETELY in writing before they start...just in case something goes wrong. Cover yourself from unpleasant surprises and add-ons. Good luck.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: