Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Paint chips on entire exterior of house (concrete). Any alternative to scaping?

Old 04-18-08, 11:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a house with a rough concrete exterior. The paint has been neglected for years. It is chalking and chipping all over. I have pressure sprayed it (1500 PSI). I have begun to scrape but the job seems never ending. I am using a 3 inch paint scraper. A span of 15 feet of wall has taken me 5 hours . I am still not sure I have all the loose flakes off. Should I try a stronger pressure sprayer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-08, 11:58 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Stronger than 1500 psi may damage mortar joints. Water flow of 3-4 gallons/minute provides greater pressure. A fan type spray nozzle held at an angle tends to be most effective. Holding at steep angle allows for lifting chips off concrete.

Rather than a scraper or wire brush, what about a wire brush wheel on the end of a drill? Wear eye protection.

Old 04-18-08, 01:43 PM
T
No luck, but thank you for the idea. I just tried the wire brush wheel on the end of a drill. Although I tried it on several different walls using two different styles of brush wheels, it doesn't get under the paint chips to lift them off the wall.
Keep the ideas coming. We're bound to come up with something more efficient than my 3 foot per hour of scraping.
--barely scraping by

Old 04-18-08, 02:16 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Have you tried a paint remover for concrete sufaces? There are a variety of them available, and finding one that will work will also be experimental.

http://www.prosoco.com/ProductDetail...1CA14491838%7D

Old 04-18-08, 02:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
1500 psi may be plenty of power, but you may be using the wrong tip. My 2600 psi has 5 different tips from "soaker" soft to "write your name in concrete" hard. Experiment with other tips, I think you can easily get paint to flake off with the right equipment.

Old 04-18-08, 03:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 858 Upvotes on 750 Posts
.... also paint has a 'magical' way of loosing some of it's grip a day or two after pressure washing. If you are trying to remove all the paint, apply a paint stripper, let it set/work and then pressure wash. There will be a lot of paint chips to rake up when your done

Old 04-18-08, 08:04 PM
T
Loose paint will blow off with a fan tip. If you are trying to remove not loose paint, your options are a solvent or sand blasting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: