Concrete Stairs

Old 04-18-08, 09:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Stairs

I have concrete stairs that are falling apart---cracking, limestones loose, concrete chipping, etc...

There are 6 stairs, a landing and then two more, one of which is way high. The 6 on the bottom do not have limestone caps, but the top 2 do.

The foundation for the stairs is concrete block.

I had a contractor tell me he could put a wire mesh on the front of the stairs add some new cement and then stucco. In addition he would add limestone caps to the stairs that dont have them and re-secure the ones on the stairs that do...

My question is if the concrete is crumbling would this "re-facing" job hold up?? I dont know the condition of the concrete blocks below, they are prob. fine but the exterior concrete is in bad shape...

Old 04-19-08, 06:28 AM
it would only hold for a short time (2-5yrs.) the old concrete is probably going to keep spalling off. I probably would repour the entire tops on all of them. Make sure that all of the step heights are the same , most codes call for less than 1/2 in of difference in step height. as this can be a trip/fall hazard. be sure to waterproof the steps after a 30 day drying period of the concrete.
remember Murphy was an optimist

Old 04-20-08, 06:50 PM
J
Thats what I figured as well (that they would not last long). When I asked the mason about it he said it would be fine, that they should last 10 yrs or longer...

I found some websites of companies who do concrete re-surfacing and they say it lasts, but im still skeptical...

Time for another quote I guess...

Thanks!!

Old 07-15-09, 06:56 AM
S
More than likely, if the outside has deteriorated to the extent that you are describing, the concrete block is on its way out. Under these circumstances it is probably better to build new stairs. If this is something you wish to do yourself, there is a company called EZ Stairs who sell adjustable stair building brackets which can also be used to build reusable concrete formwork. The brackets adjust to form any rise or run you want. They are simple to use - quick and strong. If you wish to use lime stone caps again, you will need to set the top of the treads lower to accommodate the thickness of the lime stone.

How To Build Stairs | interior stairs, deck stairs, concrete stairs- Make it Easy With EZ Stairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: