Cracking Concrete over Cistern...HELP!

Old 04-19-08, 08:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracking Concrete over Cistern...HELP!

My back porch is a 20' x15' slab of concrete that is cracking in several areas. The first 10' out from the house has nothing but ground under it that has been dug out over the years by animals sleeping under it. The next 10' is over a cistern that is not used. Under the slab I can see concrete block, one block high, sitting above the ground for the cistern and the blocks have cracks in them also.
My concern is that the slab is cracked over the entire width and also straight down the middle. I'm sure that there is rebar in it, but whenever you step on it, you can hear it crack or pop.
I want to get rid of the slab and fill in the cistern. Any ideas about how to accomplish this? We thought of using a jackhammer to bust up the concrete but, over the cistern, that could prove dangerous. If anyone has any ideas, I would sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks

Old 04-19-08, 09:07 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check with local building code office to see if you need a demolition permit.

The following website offers a description of the different approaches to concrete demolition: http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/demolition/

There are companies that specialize in concrete demolition. You might want to consider getting some estimates and determine what approach they will be taking for demolition before considering DIY. As you indicate, there will be safety concerns if DIY.

Disposal of concrete will be an issue. Many demolitionists claim that they can demo for less than it takes to haul off the concrete because they have to pick it up any way. For instance, a Bobcat with a grapple bucket that works like a giant hand can break off chunks of concrete and place in dump truck chunk by chunk.

Old 04-19-08, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can you get a back hoe into the yard? if so you can use it to break up the concrete and just place it into the cistern then add course sand and pack so it makes a stable surface for replacing the concrete you can also rent a jack hammer and break it up from the outside in. just don't stand over the cistern. If you work around the edges it should fall into the cistern and vola it is out of your way.

remember Murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: