Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

new concrete exposed basement walls with air pockets...filler material ideas?

Old 04-25-08, 04:22 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

After the forms were pulled from my new basement addition walls, it was found to have lotsd of deep air pockets or honeycombing as the contractor called it.

He had no suggestions as to what to use to fill them befor painting wall. he seemed to act like I was crazy to worry about the pockets. I think water will collect, freeze and breakup the new wall. any ideas?

I should note this basement room addition has an exposed slab cieling/roof, which the contractor pourred absolutely dead level. no slope for water run up.

Whats done is done he said.
go figure.
thanks

Old 04-25-08, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A common problem with a poured basement and the inept people that install them.

This is really the contractors problem since the concrete was not placed properly.

Make a mixture of portland cement, sand and water. Rub the surface and force it into the voids. Never use any caulk.

This will fill the voids and give you a reasonable surface. It will not help any structural problems due to the poor placement or any long term leakage since the problem already exists.

If you have drain tile installed, there should a leeser chance of leakage sine the water pressure ourside the wall will be less. The black "goop" on the outside is really cosmetic.

Old 04-25-08, 08:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
unfortuntly that means that he didn't do a good job of concrete consolidation. follow concretemasonry's post about repair.
hopefully he insulated the outside of the walls. outside of that you should also install a water channel to help drain water to the french drain. both of these web sites will give you some great info about basements.http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...s/db/35017.pdf
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=11470
Murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: