Sealing between wood framework and concrete wall

Old 05-07-08, 10:15 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sealing between wood framework and concrete wall

Hello -
There's a small area/gap of my townhouse where the wood frame sits on top of the poured basement walls and over time I notice dirt, etc makes its way through. I'd like to dig down about 6 inches outside of my townhouse to the area where the framework meets the top of basement walls and seal it. Is there a specific type of sealer (like cement sealer) or caulk that would adhere/seal well enough between the concrete wall and wood framework or does anyone have a better solution that would seal this area better? I've tried the expanding foam from the inside and it helped a little but I'm not able to get into the area well enough to seal it completely; that's why I am thinking of sealing it from the outside. Any solutions or ideas are welcome!
Thank you!

Old 05-07-08, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
voyzey

Just to clarify, the dirt around the outside of your basement walls, comes up 6" past the point where the wood framing for the rest of the house is attached? Is this a new home?

I don't have a suggestion for the product you are looking for, but that sounds like a very bad situation, not just because of dirt coming thru. What about termites, rot, other insect and water infiltration? What about the siding or sheathing being damaged by the ground contact? I believe most recommendations are for any mulch or dirt to be kept 4-6" BELOW the top of the foundation, and graded away for proper drainage.

Well, At least your post will be moved up a bit, and some of the Pro's will be along to comment, I'm sure.

Old 05-07-08, 09:57 PM
if you have soil up past the concrete you will need to remove it. Gunguy is right.]
Remember Murphy was an optimist

Old 05-08-08, 04:32 AM
V
Smile Thank you!

Thank you both for your replies! I live in a townhouse (10 years now) and until about a year ago I never even noticed the problem. It's possible I have the measurements wrong but it doesn't look like it's too far below the surface. I'll give it a shot digging down and put some sort of sealer on it (any suggestions???).

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: