adding driveway curb to existing asphalt

Old 05-18-08, 02:18 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am thinking of adding a concrete french curb along both sides of an existing asphalt driveway.
I am goingto get a contractorto do the work but would like to be informed aboutthe process.
I want the concrete curb where it meets the edge of the asphalt to look 'clean' i.e. no gap that I will have to cold patch it afterwards.
Can this be done?
One contractor said that he could cut the edge of the asphalt and butt up the cirb against that edge and it would "look 100%".
I've been given the impression by others that a gap would have to be cold patched or else resurface the entire driveway to get it to look 'clean' against the concrete curb.
Are both right?
Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-08, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You are attempting to add a "french curb" to an aspalt driveway?

What is an "french curb"? I have never seen a typical curb in France added to an asphalt driveway, since asphalt is not that common.

If it is a "French drain" along the driveway, that is a different subject.

If you are considering adding a classic natural stone (granite ballast, curbstones, etc.) curb, you have no choice but to have the asphalt sawed and a stone curb installed as best you can in the space available. You will be faced with the patching which will be a combination of a cold patch and a sealer to to help comtrol the runoff and prevent it from getting under the asphalt.

Dick

Old 05-18-08, 07:55 PM
P
I've never heard of a french curb either, but a concrete curb can be poured against the driveway with no patching of asphalt required. I'd ask your contractor(s) for more info on exactly how they plan on tackling it so you completely understand what you're getting.

Pecos

Old 05-19-08, 08:27 AM
N
thanks for the replies
what we call a french curb is basically a concrete curb lining the edge of a driveway that on the driveway edge is level to the driveway, and slowly has a slight curve upwards and levels out at the top a couple of inches higher (picture a 's' shape on its side)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: