How much weight??

Old 05-26-08, 08:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much weight??

Are there any guidelines on how much weight a concrete patio (slab) can support?

Plan: I have a 20' x 30' concrete patio that is 4" thick. I would like to surround/border it with a ""belgian block" wall. the height of the wall will vary between 18" and 33". The blocks are 14" x 3 1/2" x 7" and weigh 25 lbs each.

A ten foot section would require about 100 blocks on a footprint of 10' x 14".

The question is: Can I place this wall ON the patio itself without the concrete cracking under the weight? The 10' section described above would weigh about 2,600 lbs.

(I should also mention that I have a 500 gallon hot tub on one corner of this slab, about 18 inches from the edges. The slab has supported this weight without a problem. Would the additional weight of the wall at this corner cause a problem? )

Thanks for your help!!

Langer

Old 05-26-08, 09:10 PM
should n't present a problem the concrete should be good for about 3000 psi. at that thickness.
murphy was an optimist

Old 05-27-08, 05:27 AM
P
The 3,000 psi (assuming it's 3,000 psi concrete) is a measure of compressive strength, meaning the concrete won't be pulverized under that weight. It could crack however. Concrete's flexural strength is not nearly that high.
It's impossible to say whether your particular patio will hold that much weight or not. A lot depends on the base under it. If it is poured on a soft base, the added weight at the edge could crack it and settle it over time, makng the whole patio lean toward the wall. In my opinion, it would be better to lay the wall outside the edge of the patio. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 05-27-08, 04:33 PM
L
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll have a bit more prep work on my hands.

Do you have any links to info on how to properly lay a foundation for this project? This wall will be something that people will be sitting on (and kids using as a balance beam I'm sure). Should the first layer of blocks be secured to the base or is it best to partially (or fully) bury the first score?

Here is an image of the type of wall I would like to build:

Thanks again for sharing your insight!!

Langer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: