Concrete vs. Mortar vs. Cement vs. Grout

Old 05-29-08, 07:02 AM
Concrete vs. Mortar vs. Cement vs. Grout

Can someone please give a breif explination of the differences between concrete, cement, mortar, and grout.

I have an old cinder block basement that I'm trying to do some repair on and can not figure out which one to use. I recently had a professional give me an evaluation of the basement situation. Supprisingly the basement is in pretty good shape structurally. Their is a tiny bit of movement of the walls but nothing to crazy. The pro told me that the first thing to do is replace my gutters and regrade the landscape sourrounding the house. He said their is nothing I need to do structurally at this time if I don't have the time or money to right now.

However there are alot of areas that I would like fix for asthetic reasons. There are some visual voids in the block where some decay has happened. There is also a door that leads into the basement that needs to be replaced. The door was cut into the block and the edges of the block that outline the door frame are crumbling and decaying. I want to reoutline the frame in some sort of mansonary material befoure I install a new door. Not sure what to use. Any help any one could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-08, 07:51 AM
Smile

concrete is part cement, rocks/gravel and sand in proper proportions.
mortar is sand and cement(and maybe some ingredient i'm not familiar with-not a mason)
cement is a substance (again unsure of composition) with which to make mortar/concrete.
grout is commonly used to fill gaps between tile(different kinds for different uses)

if the joints in the blocks have missing pieces, mortar is what you need. if the blocks are "crumbling"(a.k.a. deterioration) you might need to replace some/all!?

the door that needs replacing; if the space is available, simple replacement and trimming should hide any ugly defects. i'm guessing the block for the door were cut/broken with a brick hammer as opposed to cutting with a block saw.

hope this helps. stay tuned. you will get more and better answers.

Old 05-31-08, 07:56 AM
Cement is an ingredient in the rest. Three are several materials called "cement" on the market today: Portland cement, Masonry cement, and various other specialized types like Type H Oilfield cment.

Concrete contains portland cement, large aggregate, and sand. It is for structural applications to form an object. The common method of selection of the correct mix is in compressive PSI.

Mortar contains either portland cement/lime, lime, or masonry cement and sand. It is used to assemble masonry units into structural or veneer systems. The common method of selection uses compressive strength, bond strength and the abosrption of the laid units to determine the appropriate mix ratio.

Grout has two meanings:

For CMU grout refers to a pourable mixture of portland cement, small aggregate and sand.

For tile and similar applications, grout refers to portland cement or masonry cement and sand used to fill the joints in segmental masonry applications.

To repair the edges of the door, you will want a low sag repair mortar, which will contain bonding enhancers.