stained block wall

Old 06-02-08, 02:59 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stained block wall

I've got a block wall that turns white every few weeks... I have sprinklers behind the wall and I'm guessing the overspray that gets the wall wet is causing the problem. It looks like lime or calcium deposits building up. I can clean it with CLR and a pressure washer but would like to find a simplier way. Can a block wall be sealed like a patio and if so... will that eliminate the staining? OR do I have to relocate the sprinklers?

thanks for the help,

Old 06-02-08, 03:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
It's called efflorescence, caused when moisture passes thru masonary.

You could prime the wall with blockfill and then paint it. A good house paint may be good enough but an elastromeric paint does the best job of sealing masonary.

Is there a reason the sprinklers are getting the wall so wet? it won't grow you know

Old 06-03-08, 02:37 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's efflorescence if the moisture comes out from inside the wall. If the sprinklers are hitting that wall so much, it could just be hard water stains from that. If hard water stains, then sealing won't help. You'd just get them on the outside of the sealer too. I'd move or adjust the sprinklers so they don't get that wall so wet and see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: