Evangeline8

Old 06-21-08, 01:52 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Evangeline8

Putting new mexican (saltillo) tile on a small sidewalk. Sponged it off, let it dry many hours then sealed it with 'Wet Look Sealant' (from HD). I had used this product before on both concrete and mexican tile - looked good/the surfaces were originally sealed many years ago and I was touching them up. This time the tile was new(unsealed). The surface developed a milky, streaky, ugly look. What to do? I have 150 tiles. Thanks for any help you can give. I've learned my lesson. I'll ask here 1st!!!!

Last edited by evangeline8; 06-21-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 07:03 PM
T
Too heavy an application. They are so porous that you have to seal them 2 or 3 times, just a light coat each time. Plus HD sealer is junk.

You will have to strip them to fix it.

Old 06-22-08, 06:51 AM
E
Tscarborough-thanks for reply. So spot on about sealer and application (what would you use?). Wanted to share what I found out about my whole saltillo tile project (alas too late). Of the 150 tiles, 30 did not have as much of that milky, streaky look. Why would this be? Thinking back I realized that after I sponged and let them dry, I immediatly laid out 30 and sealed them with the crappy HD sealer. The rest I stacked (one directly on top of the other) in piles of 15. When they were drying, after the sponging, they had been laid out in such a way that air could circulate around the entire tile - very space consuming (our friend Jay did this -he has experience with this kind of tile- and I'm thinkin' 'theres no room to do anything on this porch - how inefficient of him'- let me stack these to make more room') - so I stacked them (you guys are probably laughing at me already) like I told you, on our back porch. Well ,we live in South Florida and it rained for 2 days. The stacked tile didn't get rained on but they probably sucked in about 10 gallons of water from being stacked like that (no circulation -not to mention the 2000% humidity we get here even when it's not raining). Anyway I guess I have my work cut out for me. Just wanted to tell you about the importance of air circulation before the saltillo tile is sealed (the long version ). Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: