Staining Concrete

Old 06-28-08, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining Concrete

My driveway was put in originally with the house, and apparently the previous owner added on and made it a two car driveway. The issue is that there is two disctinctly different colors in the concrete on both halfs of the driveway. Would a concrete stain come through as one color on the whole driveway? I am thinking that the answer to this one will depend on what type of concrete it is, what materials were used when mixing, age, etc.? Any thoughts on how to get the two halfs a uniform color? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 04:24 AM
There are more than one type of concrete stain. Pigmented stains and acid stains. Pigmented ones are what you'll find at Lowes, HD, etc. These are like paint, so they will produce an opaque, uniform appearance on your slabs. You may have to acid etch the surface first to prep it, but this does not mean it's an acid stain.
Acid stains are actually made of acid, no etching required. They produce mottled effects and have no pigment. They gain all color through chemical reaction, so different slabs will stay different colors. Acid stain would definitely NOT be what you want in this application. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 06-30-08, 12:08 PM
I have patio that was added onto and then concrete is two different colors. If I went we the lowes, home depot stain, which is more like paint, how well does it hold up to weather? I live in NJ, so snow and ice is shoveled on it.

Would the acid stain work better for snow and ice?

Old 06-30-08, 04:58 PM
The pigmented stain will need to be re-applied periodically. It will flake and peel in weather, just like paint. The acid stain is not a coating, but is actually an integral part of the concrete surface. Therefore, it will remain as long as the concrete's surface remains.
However, if you want the two pours to match color-wise, the acid stain is not an option. They will always look different unless you "paint" them with a pigmented stain.

Old 07-01-08, 09:47 AM
Thanks for info. I think I am going to go with the acid stain. I did some research online and it doesn't look to hard, just a lot steps. Has anyone done this before? Any tips?

Also i have few cracks on the patio, not that bad, should I fill them with something? Will the stain penetrate the filler that I use in the cracks? What should I use to fill the cracks?

Maybe I should leave the cracks and it will add some character....

Old 07-10-08, 07:08 AM
Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to repair the cracks before I stain?

Old 07-10-08, 04:11 PM
You can't repair a crack in concrete, especially exterior concrete which is always moving. You can patch it, but it will always come back. If it's a wide crack, you can fill it with something. The best thing is an elastic caulk, but acid stain will not stain the caulk. It only works on cement based materials. If you patch it with a cement based material, the crack will still show up a lot different anyway, just like the two pours will be different. Also, the cement based material is rigid and will crack again, usually within days. Patched concrete almost always looks worse than the crack. If it's only a hairline crack, it's best to just leave it alone.

Pecos