Harder then Concrete

Old 07-01-08, 01:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Harder then Concrete

We are in the process of purchasing a home. The home has some minor repairs that need to be complete by the seller before the closing. One request we had is for him to fix rebar and cement that is sticking out of the entry way of the garage. The seller wants to patch the concrete with a product called "Harder then Concrete." Has anyone ever heard of "harder then concrete?" What are your opinions of the product? Any recommendations on how this should be patched?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Here is a picture of the patch job...
http://chipperhome.blogspot.com/

Old 07-01-08, 01:53 PM
C
Why not just clean it out and use concrete?

Old 07-01-08, 01:56 PM
J
The seller actually seems honest and is recommending this product, but wanted to get opinions first before accepting his idea. Any thoughts on the product?

Old 07-01-08, 07:54 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am no expert and haven't heard of this product, but I'll tell you what I personally would do...

"HTC" is obviously the quick, easy fix, or else he wouldn't want to do it that way (not that it's a bad thing really). If I were making such a big investment, I would fix it with regular concrete. After all, they don't make entire roads and garage floors with "HTC".

Old 07-01-08, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Harder then Concrete

Concrete is not used for patching because it does not work.

A good repair method should use a material the will bond well to the existing concrete and rebar. Notmally this requires good removal of loose material, removing dust from the surface and using some sort of bond enhancer - A applied, in the patch or both. A good patch is only as good as what is stuck to.

Is the exposed concrete/rebar due to an accident, modification or deterioration? Is it cosmetic or structural. - Since rebar is exposed, it must now be shallow.

Dick

Old 08-27-08, 01:11 PM
J
Dick and others - thanks for the reply. It does not seem to be structural, however, it does not look very good. He will be cleaning and repouring. Any recommendations on what to look for when he is patching? You mentioned, "A good patch is only as good as what is stuck to." What should he be sticking it to? This is really a first to me... so thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: