Garage Floor Poured Wrong?

Old 07-01-08, 12:45 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I recently had a new garage floor poured by a company that's in the business of doing that.

The condensation from the car's AC flows laterally to the base of the steps into the house instead of under the car and out the overhead door. It gets the floor mat soaking wet. Imagine what it's going to be like in the winter when the car is carrying loads of snow and ice.

The concrete company said "it's almost impossible to get a floor to slope right in an existing dwelling." The foreman told me "if it was my floor, I wouldn't do anything with it."

I don't think it should be this way. Is this normal? Am I being too picky by not wanting to walk through water each time I go into my house?

Old 07-01-08, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm no pro..but I know Pro's can do amazing things with concrete, IF they know what they are doing. A slope is a slope....if they can come in and slope all the corners of a shower towards the center, I would think they could at least get a slope in 2 directions. How do they do it when it's new construction?

If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected by someone in the know.

Old 07-01-08, 07:01 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm no expert either, but it seems that they could make the floor into a freakin' pyramid if that's what they wanted. What does it matter what's underneath? That's the whole point...when they put on NEW concrete, they can make it slope however they please. The foreman's logic doesn't make much sense.

Old 07-02-08, 02:48 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A professional can certainly make it slope the correct way. Is there some other reason, like the elevation of a door, or perhaps your furnace that would have established a certain elevation on the high end of the slab? Maybe there is some good reason why it's at that height on the high side, and the driveway elevation was such that it simply couldn't slope outwards. If that were the case though, they could have added a center drain for everything to slope into. The foreman's logic doesn't make sense to me either, and I am a concrete contractor.

Pecos

Old 07-02-08, 05:16 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I agree, a good contractor should be able to slope the floor any way you want.

But the real reason I am posting. You mentioned having the melting snow and ice running out the door. Think twice about that. The reason I say that is because that's what I did years ago. Worked great in the summer and partway into the first winter... then the problems started. Maybe 5 or 6 times every winter when conditions were just right, the melt-off would run down to the closed door and the door would freeze to the floor and wouldn't open with the automatic opener. I would have to pry the door up to break it loose. What a pain! If I were to do it again, I would put in a floor drain (no trap!) and daylight the discharge outside.

Old 07-02-08, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The dripping AC condensation is one thing, but there many other things to be concerned about.

What if you have a fuel leak/spill (not probable, but possible)? There is a good reason why the codes usually require the garage floor to be lower than the living level. In some cases, a cub/barrier may be acceptable.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: