Building a patio under trees

Old 07-06-08, 09:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Building a patio under trees

I'm planning on building an outdoor kitchen, on top of a paver patio. The problem is that the location where I want to put it is under 2, 8 inch diameter maple trees. It's a great shady location and really my only available option. There are some surface roots that need to deal with, but I don't know exactly how to. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Cut ther roots? Make it a raised patio? Forget the whole idea? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-11-08, 09:33 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry...you're not going to like the reply.. Don't cut the roots....The root system isn't static and to cut a few is pointless.

Maple roots are quite invasive and often extend beyond their drip line. They are a very talented prolific spreader and will also extend some above grade a bit.

If it were me and had to keep the maples, would build a deck from composites on concrete piers at least a few inches above grade in case a root pops up.....

You can make a beautiful deck with the new materials and it might be cheaper than a stone/concrete option. With stone or concrete over the roots, one could guarantee that it would be raised, cracked and lifted by the maple roots eventually.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-12-08, 12:22 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If maples are close to the house, then they should be removed before they get too large. As indicated, roots will continue to spread. Maple roots can lift sidewalks, driveways, and do damage to foundations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: