Removing paint from concrete?

Old 07-17-08, 08:49 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing paint from concrete?

We live in a Tudor built sometime in the 1930's. I believe the concrete steps in front are original to the house, but I'm not sure.

In any case, the previous owner of the house decided to paint the top step/"porch" and covered the other steps with outdoor carpeting. Blech.

The paint has started to peel. It looks like there might be another layer of paint underneath, and underneath that it's white -- some kind of primer maybe? And the carpet was obviously attached with some type of adhesive...

We're not big DIYers at all. But the flaking, hideous paint is really making the front of our house look ugly, and I feel like we have to do something about it NOW.

Any tips on how to remove the remaining paint and primer, as well as the atrocious carpet?

TIA

Old 07-18-08, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Paint and varnish remover [stripper] will remove what paint can't be scraped off. Removing the carpet and glue might be a tougher job. You will have to cut and scrape to get it off. The adhesive should come of with paint thinner and a lot of elbow grease

Old 07-18-08, 07:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, marksr! We'll give that a shot! I have a feeling it's going to be a tough job...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: