crumbling concrete block retaining wall

Old 07-19-08, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a concrete block retaining wall, about 6 or 7 blocks high (hollow block style), and about 90 to 100 feet long. The block is disintegrating in the middle and some holes have appeared. In other spots, it is beginning to crack (cracks with sort of a white film or residue on it) They are located thruout the wall. Was told that local mix company was skimping on cement about the time this was built. Any quick fixes to this? Hate to replace entire wall, would like to just cover it someway if that's possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 12:04 PM

Judging from your description, you have a lot of moisture behind the wall. Any repair may not last long with that condition.

You did not say where you are and what your climate is.

Is the wall bowing out at the top? - You can tell by using a level on the face and by pulling a string line from one end to the other at the top of the wall and half way up also. This will give you an idea whether the footing and wall construction is adequate.

For a wall at that height, ther should be reinforcement placed in the cores by the contractor.

Are there an open joints or drainage hole to let the water drain out from behind?

Dick

Old 07-20-08, 07:33 AM
crumbling concrete block wall

Dick: Thanks for your reply. I live in NW Wisconsin (Spooner). The wall is not visibly bowing out but I have no idea how it was originally constructed. It was a 1960-70s vintage Wausau home type. I have no idea if reinforcement was placed in the cores, and I haven't seen any drainage or open joints for drainage. As I mentioned, the blocks are beginning to show cracking in the middle, and sort of spidering out. Several have caved in and crumbled, exposing the inside of a hollow block. That's about all I can tell you I guess. Don't have much knowledge about this and was just hoping I wouldn't have to tear out entire wall and start over. The wall is still sturdy in the sense that only one or two of the blocks or block seams are cracked. The wall is basically level lengthwise across the 90 feet, but not level across the short end of the top blocks, so I guess it either was not put in level or has slumped some. Thanks for helping. Can a person put some type of new facing on the wall to at least make it look good since it is basically sturdy?

Rick