slab foundation

Old 07-24-08, 05:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question slab foundation

Hi All,

I'm building a house on a slab foundation with frost footings. I'm wondering whether there is a big difference in quality between concrete blocks and a poured concrete for the foundation wall. My general contractor thinks that both are equally strong, since dirt will be on both sides. He also said a poured concrete foundation would be about $5000 more than concrete blocks, while ICF poured foundation would be $9000 more. Sorry if I've confused anyone, I really don't know all the contractor jargon. Does anyone know if my contractor is reasonably correct? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 05:32 PM
my understanding is that cmu's are almost as strong as poured concrete walls in compression but in shear are much weaker. as far as a icf the main cost is labor to put them together. if you are willing to build the blocks the cost can be less. So I probably would go ahead with the cmu's if you are paying all of the labor. just make sure that they are going to warrenty their work.

also you might want to see if concretermasonry or peco's weigh in on this as they are very knowlegable on this subject.
life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 07-24-08, 07:57 PM
slab foundation

If necessary, a CMU (block) wall can be made stronger than a poured wall. You type of construction requires nothing more than the lowest strength concrete or CMU permitted by codes/standards.

I have seen hundreds of 15-20 story loadbearing block buildings (6" thick block walls) with no steel or concrete columns. - Just partially reinforced or unreinforced block.

Dick

Old 07-25-08, 06:06 PM
S
Hi Speedwrench and Concretemasonry,

Thank you for responding and your advice. I feel much better now about my contractor using concrete blocks for the foundation walls. I also think he said that they would be reinforced, so that is even better.

Thanks again,

Sam