Whats that under the slab?

Old 08-11-08, 07:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 137
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whats that under the slab?

I dont know if this is the right forum, but though id give it a try. My home is on a slab foundation and was installing some baseboards in my garage when I saw something that caught my eye. On the floor next the the wall a tiny section of concrete was chipped. When I lifted the piece up it exposed some sort of foam. Does anyone know what the heck this is? The piece of concrete that came up was very thin and it looks like this foam type material boarders where the concrete and the brick meet.
Old 08-11-08, 07:56 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,306
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you're describing expansion joint material. It's the stuff that separates a concrete slab and whatever it is poured up against. It acts sort of like a shock absorber so when the concrete heaves or settles, or expands and contracts, it doesn't damage the brick. It can be made of foam, tar-impregnated cellulose, rubber, or anything else that works. I personally prefer the foam.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: