Concrete Cellar Leaking

Old 08-17-08, 04:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Cellar Leaking

Heyo,

I have a cellar that is appx. 8x8 and 8ft deep. The previous owner that built it informed me that he simply dug a hole in the ground and poured cement mixture and stones into a mold that is the current box it is now....but no water barrier on the outside.

Anyhow, I'd like to salvage this cellar w/o digging it out(there is now a garage over it).

Is there any way to seal it within the inside to prevent the 5ft of water that accumulates inside?

There are no visible cracks inside to determine where the water comes from which can lead one to believe that the cellar is just one giant strainer...much appreciated.

MN

Old 08-17-08, 07:52 PM
you will have to cut a hole in one corner and install a sump to lower the water pressure under the floor. hydraulic pressure will force the water through the concrete no mater what you spray or paint on the inside.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 08-17-08, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete Cellar Leaking

If you have 5' deep indoor pool, you should first find out where the water is coming from.

It could be from the surface water (rainfall on the nearby ground, the roof or the downspouts), ground water (from the soil in the surrounding area) or a combination of both.

It is hard enough to keep water in a below ground pool, let alone keep it out of a pool you want to keep dry.

Simple coatings are a waste of time. Minimize the sources and them worry about the "piant" ot coatings. If that works, then you can pick the shade of the paint.

Dick

Old 08-18-08, 10:09 AM
M
Thanks! I like the idea of the sump pump, sound advice.

Thanks a gallon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: