Glass block installation methods?

Old 08-23-08, 08:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass block installation methods?

We have a basement window on our rental that is...um, less than secure. i want to brick it in, maybe w/ glass blocks. The others have been done in w/ glass block and it looks pretty good. Can you tell me how to do it? Basic basement casement window, about 18" x 32", I'd guess. Do I just use regular mortar? What about a window panel along w/ glass blocks? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-08, 04:03 AM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have never done glass block, so I can't answer that part of f the question, but I do have a couple other considerations. I assume you are the owner/landlord. If not you will need permission to do this. Second, I think you need to check local codes. It's been a while since I did residential design, but around here there was a minimum light and ventilation requirement for basements. If you infill with glass block, you may be in violation of code. Not saying there is a requirement, just saying there MAY be.

Old 08-27-08, 08:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
glass block

yes you can use regular masonary cement, they do make a spacer for glass block and your size 18by32 you would use 6 inck block with going 3 high and 6 across if i can remember right i think 6 inch block are 5and 3/4 by 5 and 3/4 to alough for the joint