Stamped vs Kooldeck around inground pool

Old 08-25-08, 10:09 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Stamped vs Kooldeck around inground pool

Was given a quote for both, aprox. $9/sqft kooldeck and $10/sqft stamped. Doing a cantilever around the pool, and would like to stamp a 1' border around the pool (leary about stamping entire pooldeck due to stamped being slippery)and pour kookdeck around the rest (aprox 600ftsq). Was told the 1" stamp would be a separate pour and would need to cure before pouring the rest. Also quoted $17/ft for the 1" stamped border. Does this sound reasonable? Any flaws in this plan?

Thanks.

Old 08-26-08, 03:54 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One flaw is your assumption that stamped is slippery while kool deck is not. I have seen extremely slippery kool deck and our stamp work is not slippery at all. It could all depend on the installer, the pattern, and putting non-slip additives in the sealer. The main thing I'd be concerned about around a pool deck is the color. Remember that a dark color will absorb sunlight and be hot on bare feet, while a light color will reflect it and stay cooler.
The pricing seems in line with what we'd charge. Good luck.

Old 08-26-08, 05:39 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The pool builder I did not go with offered a slip-resistent stamped concrete. The pool builder I contracted with stated they could use an additive that would reduce slip, but not eliminate it. We are looking at a dark color for the 1' stamp, and a light/medium color for the kooldeck. I haven't heard of kooldeck being slippery, especially with the rough looking surface and lack of a sealer.

Old 08-26-08, 01:22 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My next door neighbor is a golf pro. They have a kool deck area in front of the doors to their clubhouse. He says whenever it rains and guys are running for the door, someone invariably slips and falls on that area because it's so slick. However, theirs is sealed. Maybe it's not slippery if it's unsealed, I don't know.
We put stamped concrete around pools all the time and I've never gotten a call about it being slippery. I'd say just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: