asphalt sealing.....again!

Old 08-30-08, 07:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
asphalt sealing.....again!

Who knows about driveway sealing? I have a 4 year old driveway that I sealed 3 years ago. I don't remember what I used. My question is, what is the difference between the latex and "poly" sealers and the "coal tar" sealers and which is better?

Old 08-31-08, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What little bit I know about asphalt sealers comes from having a friend that is in that business

He says the coal tar sealers don't do as good a job as the water based. My brother inlaw used the coal tar on his driveway [once] and tires would squeal everytime you drove on it

I don't know what the difference between the poly and latex is but generally with most coatings, the price is indictive of the quality.... although he buys his directly from the asphalt plant. He claims it's better sealer and the price is lower because he must supply his own container.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-08, 05:37 AM
B
Originally Posted by marksr
Welcome to the forums!

What little bit I know about asphalt sealers comes from having a friend that is in that business

He says the coal tar sealers don't do as good a job as the water based. My brother inlaw used the coal tar on his driveway [once] and tires would squeal everytime you drove on it

I don't know what the difference between the poly and latex is but generally with most coatings, the price is indictive of the quality.... although he buys his directly from the asphalt plant. He claims it's better sealer and the price is lower because he must supply his own container.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. I find it interesting that the stuff gotten from asphalt plant would not be the coal tar coating since those products go into the production of asphalt??? To me, the latex would be a water based product and the poly would have some sort of rubber involved in it??? (these are nothing more then educated guesses on my part)

Old 08-31-08, 12:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I do remember him telling me that the local asphalt plant makes their asphalt differently than some of the others - supposedly theirs is more enviromentally friendly. I'm pretty sure what he buys is the same stuff they use in their production of asphalt...... and that may be the reason it's superior to coal tar....... at least in this area

Old 08-31-08, 01:24 PM
B
Well, I unexpectedly just solved my problem. I decided to have a local guy that does sealing come in and give me an estimate. Last time I did it, I remember I used 11 1/2 buckets of sealer. He came when I was at my sons ball game and called me with the estimate. He would weed wack the edges, clean driveway, pretreat minor cracks I have, and seal it with coal tar sealer and give me a 2 year warranty for $250.00. I can't even buy the material for that! I asked when he wanted to do it, and he said his truck and crew are there now, so when I got home from the game, my driveway is sealed!

Old 08-31-08, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope you got a good long lasting job. I wonder though about cleaning and sealing in the same day. Most I know use a pressure washer to clean with and then come back in a day or two, make repairs [if needed] and then seal.

Old 08-31-08, 01:33 PM
B
I can live with it so long as it lasts the 2 years that its warranted for. I will pay $250.00 every 2 years to keep the driveway right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: