Question about home construction

Old 09-15-08, 08:48 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm a HVAC pro and have helped others out, but this time I could use some help on another subject.

I own a home in western Oregon and I want to have earthquake insurance, which I used to have. In order to get earthquake insurance at all now, at least with the current insurance company, I have to be able to prove that the house is bolted to the foundation.

When we bought the house, 11 years ago, we had a home inspector inspect it. The report said "unable to verify" in regards to the house being bolted to the foundation.

How could I best find the answer myself, or as an alternative, how would I best look for someone who would be able to verify this one way or the other?

Old 09-15-08, 09:06 PM

Look for a professional like a structural engineer and permit him to investigate. - It may require a few holes.

Your home inspector is a generalist and is limited to inspecting only what is a visible. That may be why he could not verify by moving obstructions in property that was owned by the previous owner at that time.

A professionaly should be able to verify what is curently there and what may be necessary if remediation is necessary.

Old 09-15-08, 09:15 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Yes, a home inspector does not have in-depth knowledge in much, at least in my experience. They do have a valuable function and a more general knowledge than I have.

I am prepared for the idea of a few holes if necessary. That's probably something the inspector thought better than to do on property that was on the market

Thanks, CM

Old 09-16-08, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Just a thought....

I'm wondering whether one of the newer fancy thermal imaging cameras would show the anchor bolts coming up through the sill plate?

I've seen some of the newer ones in operation, and it's really amazing how much detail is shown.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: