Should driveway control joints be sealed?

Old 09-26-08, 11:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should driveway control joints be sealed?

Hi, I moved into a 9-year-old house last year. The previous owner put some sort of a caulk or other type of sealant in the control joints of the driveway (the lines that are saw cut after the concrete is poured). A lot of this has worked its way out and is missing.

Should I reseal these cracks or just strip out the remaining old caulk? I've never heard of putting anything in these joints, so I don't know if it's recommended or not. I live in SE Michigan, so we get plenty of freeze/thaw action.

Thanks for any insight!

Old 09-26-08, 02:07 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Either way is fine. The amount of water infiltration through the joints is insignificant compared to the amount of water that can seep in under the edges anyway. One thing caulk may help is freeze damage to the joint itself. For example, if water laid in the joint, froze, and expanded sideways enough to pop the concrete on either side of the joint. Caulk will also keep out dirt, seeds, bugs, etc. Otherwise, caulking crack control joints in the middle of a slab is pointless.

Pecos

Old 09-26-08, 02:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Self leveling caulk should offer a long-lasting solution. Old joint filler and dirt should be removed from joints. Joints need to be clean for good adhesion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: