Advice needed for filling large basement Cracks

Old 10-10-08, 02:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for filling large basement Cracks

Hello and thanks for reading,

My 4.5 year old basement had some large cracks in it when I purchased my house 1 year ago. I was concerned about these cracks and a vertical crack on the wall and hired a structural engineer to investigate before I made my purchase. The engineer said the cracks were cosmetic and would not cause any future structural problems. I think the cracks were caused by a frost heave but its hard to be certain. The basement is 1300 sq/ft and the concrete is not scored in any location. Anyways, I would like to fill these cracks before I lay some carpet down. It's just some spare carpet with no pad under it, just a temporary solution until I finish the basement some years from now.

My solution to fill the cracks is to add some fine filler sand to the wide cracks and use the crack filler stuff I bought at Menards (see picture below) to seal it.

And now finally for my question:
Is this the right way to do this, or is there a better approach?
Thanks,
D in MN

Old 10-10-08, 05:23 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
I would not use the fine sand to fill. If the crack is larger than 3/8 inch wide I would install backer rod. Backer rod is a round foam used to fill the crack so you do not need as much caulk. Menards will have it. That caulking you have is correct and will be somewhat self leveling. It may sink down a little as it sets and may need touched up. Cracks smaller than 3/8 inch wide can be filled without any filler.

Old 10-10-08, 09:38 PM
I was pointed to this stuff
http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...epair/eti.html

It looks like it would really do the job assuming it doesn't all seep out the back side of the slab.

If I use the crack sealer in my picture I will definitely use backing rod instead of sand.

Old 10-11-08, 10:19 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Yes the epoxy is great stuff. If you are sure the cracking is done then it works great, but if the crack opens up a little more then the epoxy will crack with it. Epoxy is a glue and gets rock hard thereby sealing off the crack from any water entry. The caulk stays flexible and therefore allows a little movement to occur without failing. It will also hold back water unless the pressure is great from the water.
You could use either, your choice, cost may determine your choice.

Old 11-14-09, 11:36 AM
I decided to use the watertite stuff in my first post. I used backing rod for the larger cracks. The stuff works pretty good, it sealed all of my cracks up and is flexible so any additional settling doesn't lead to an opening. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was very sticky to the touch even after it had dried. I used a clear coat of paint on areas where I walked to avoid any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: