Help with Rebuilding a Firebox

Old 10-13-08, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Rebuilding a Firebox

We purchased a home 2 years ago that needs the back wall on the firebox rebuilt (the side walls are solid). I have done masonry in the past (I'm a remodeler) so I feel comfortable doing this myself with some direction.

As well, the past owners, for whatever reason, beat out the damper and basically destroyed it, so I will need to replace it.

My plan is to demo the back wall and top course of brick to get the old damper out. I'll then begin my courses on the back wall, stopping every 2 or 3 levels and back filling any open cavities. Once I get near the top, I'll go ahead and get the damper in place and finish off the top course(s). After that, I plan to grind out some joints on the side walls and repoint-- primarily where the side wall comes in contact to the front face.

Ok, a few questions:
1. Do I use the same mortar I butter the brick with to back fill, or something different (if different, what would I use).
2. Is there anything I need to know about the damper and it's installation.
3. Anything I need to know about in repointing firebrick.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 09:09 AM
While it may be possible to replace the damper without removing the stack, I have never seen it done.

In general, the chimney stack will be resting on the brick directly above the damper, and any attempt to remove them may cause the stack to fail. The firebrick themselves are usually non structural and can be replaced. The standard method of repair is to remove as much of the old damper as possible, repair the firebrick, and then install a top of flue damper.

In replacng the firebrick, refactory cement is used.

Old 10-14-08, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
In general, the chimney stack will be resting on the brick directly above the damper, and any attempt to remove them may cause the stack to fail. The firebrick themselves are usually non structural and can be replaced. The standard method of repair is to remove as much of the old damper as possible, repair the firebrick, and then install a top of flue damper.
That's good info to know. I'll go ahead and use the flue top style damper.

Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
In replacng the firebrick, refactory cement is used.
Is that for setting the brick and backfilling? Does this come pre-mixed?