How to fix large, deep driveway crack?

Old 11-03-08, 06:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fix large, deep driveway crack?

I have a large, nasty crack all the way across my driveway averaging 2 inches wide by 1.5 inches deep that has been there since I bought the house. I would like to fill it in with something, but not sure what. The size is much to large to caulk, so I thought of using Quickcrete vinyl patch. Unfortunately, I see 2 problems with this:
1. The vinyl patch will not be flexible and will probably crack when the driveway moves slightly with the extreme seasons of Missouri. The crack seems to be located exactly where an expansion joint should have been.
2. The vinyl patch is not meant for deep applications, so will need some sort of backer material to be put down in the crack first. I am afraid traditional spongy backer rod would provide no strength for driving a car over, and I've heard sand is a big no no because it doesn't allow for any movement.

To further complicate matters, the driveway is inclined about 20 degrees, so self-leveling anything is out of the question. How do I fix this?

click thumbnails for larger image

Old 11-03-08, 07:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If there should have been an expansion joint there, saw cut it on both sides of the crack and put one in.

Old 11-04-08, 02:27 AM
P
concrete does not crack only partway through the slab. Whether it's a hairline crack or a large one like yours, it goes all the way through (not 1.5 inches). The concrete should have been jointed originally, but now it has basically jointed itself by cracking. A flexible material like caulk would be your best option because of the movement you spoke of. Anything rigid like concrete or vinyl patch will crack as the slab moves, just as you feared. Use a larger diameter of backer rod and get a good grade of caulk from a construction supply house, not a big box store. Make certain to follow directions to a T. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: