Broken corners and railing on concrete steps

Old 11-07-08, 02:02 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken corners and railing on concrete steps

I've got a concrete front stoop that had a wrought iron railing embedded in the concrete. This is a one piece solid iron railing (not hollow ). Where the two posts were inserted they have rusted and it fell off, taking chunks of the concrete steps at the corners with it. at the moment I can't afford to have the steps completely rebuilt and I'd like to save the railing. The corners broke off in 2 or 3 large chunks (between baseball and football size). The steps are intact on the inside edge of where the posts were. In other words, the square holes where the posts were still have two sides. I hope that makes sense. The chunks of concrete are not perfect, there are smaller pieces that completely disintegrated but there still is enough left for quite a bit of contact with the intact portion of the steps. The railings attach to the house at the top of the stairs but otherwise are supported only by the two posts. As a temporary fix I was wondering about using concrete adhesive to glue the chunks back in place, patch around them as best as I can and use anchoring cement to replace the posts. The railing cannot be bolted along the side of the steps because the bolts would have to go right where the missing corners are. Is this a realistic plan or am I up the creek?

When the steps are completely rebuilt I will have another problem: beneath the steps, as an extension of the basement, is a bathroom (yes, it's weird). The ceiling of the bathroom slopes along the underneath the bottom surface of the steps. I have no idea how this was done and what's under there.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Old 11-08-08, 03:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Get a 1" x 6" length of wood, some anchors with screws and a mason drill bit to match the diameter of the anchors, a bag of portland cement and a few bags of fine sand.

Use the wood to frame around the area that needs to be patched. Since I can't see it, I don't know if the wood has to go just on the side or if you need to cut pieces for the front of each step.

Either way, cut what you need and attach it to the stoop with the anchors. Mix the cement, 2 parts Portland to 3 parts sand. Mix water until it's like sherbet. Fill what's need to be filled. Let it dry over night, at least and remove the wood.

Old 11-10-08, 10:06 AM
W
Similar situation

I'm currently putting in pavers as a replacement to a concrete walke that I took out recently. So as to have a flat surface to make a brick step (goes from the pavers to the porch) I left a rectangle of 4 inch thick concrete.

Although I squared it up by cutting it with a concrete saw, and it's in pretty good shape overall, I did lose a about an inch or two on either bottom corner to cracking.

Here's my question: Since I'm filling the base all around this concrete "footer" with CR-6 (crusher run with powder) and then with sand and ultimiately pavers, should I fill in the bottom two cracked off corners with portland cement? Or can I rely on the CR-6 to fill in the gaps under the concrete?

Thanks

Old 11-13-08, 06:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you think the corrners got weak at all. That's how I would decide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: