Water entering house around foundation

Old 11-11-08, 05:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water entering house around foundation

We have had a problem for a couple of years with water entering the garage during heavy storms. With all the other things we've had to do on this "project house", it was low priority, and we just kept stuff up off the concrete.

Now we've got the same problem happening at the other end of the house. Water got in during last nights storm and our carpet is soaked. Can't put that one off, but I'm not even sure where to begin with this.We know we need to improve our drainage, but the house sits at the bottom of a hill, so during a heavy storm, it seems like drainage alone won't keep all the water from running up against the house.

Not even sure whether this is a DIY or a "call a pro" job. Where do I begin with this problem?

Old 11-14-08, 05:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look closely at the foundation for hairline cracks that may start above ground and continue below grade.

I've done a lot of waterproofing jobs to solve the same problem. We dug down a few inches passed the footing, sealed the foundation with a membrane, added some gravel and backfilled.

Since you are in a valley, that may be the only way to solve the problem.

Old 11-14-08, 06:18 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Soil should slope to carry water away from the structure. Makes sure gutters and downspouts are clear and carry water away from foundation. If house sits at bottom of hill, a drainage ditch can be installed at the bottom of the hill to collect the water before it reaches the foundation.

If you plan on salvaging the carpet, vacuum as much water as you can out of the carpet with a wet/dry vac. Pull up the carpet. Discard the cushion. Put saw horses or other items beneath carpet to allow air to circulate. Run fans and a dehumidifier to expedite drying. Mold/mildew can start growing in 24-48 hours. Once you have addressed the drainage issues and carpet is dry, you can have it reinstalled with new cushion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: