Asphalt sealant

Old 11-12-08, 10:11 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asphalt sealant

At the expense of sounding like a first rate sucker, we gave business to one of those door-to-door jokers offering to seal our asphalt driveway. He provided a written contract and everything, making the whole thing look more legit. When he was done and gone, we realized he had used roof sealant instead of asphalt sealant, and he never returned to fix his slip-ups, as he promised to do. The phone numbers listed on the contract are to an answering service, and he has not returned our calls. Not being all that familiar with the sealing process myself, can someone tell me if it is acceptable to use roof sealant to seal an asphalt driveway? What is the fundamental difference between the two kinds of sealants?

Old 11-12-08, 12:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm no expert on driveway sealer but I think the main concern would be if the asphalt temp rises the roofing tar [I assume he thinned it] might soften up and be lifted up and tracked elsewhere

Old 11-12-08, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Just tell me you haven't paid him yet.

Old 11-13-08, 08:10 AM
C
'Fraid so. I wish I had checked out his phone numbers before he had time to cash the check.

Old 11-13-08, 11:55 AM
M
How did you determine it was roof sealer as opposed to driveway sealer? Did he leave 5-gal buckets behind? Usually these guys travel with a tank on a trailer and offer you the deal of a lifetime "cause they have some left over from a big job up the street". Immediate payment required, of course. If its just regular asphalt sealant, it will stay a little more gummy than regular driveway sealer and possibly track into your house or garage. I don't know of any way it could actually harm your driveway. The real question will be how to recoat it when the high-traffic areas wear off and the rest is still covered with the roof sealer. That one I can't answer.

Old 11-13-08, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Standard "Gypsy" scam (no offense to the honest , ahem, ahem "Travelers" out there). One of THE most prevalent cons. Hope it has been reported.

I'd be contacting a few reliable honest asphalt/paving companies and explain your problem, they probably have gotten plenty of calls. They don't just hit one house or neighborhood. They may have some DIY suggestions.

Old 11-14-08, 11:52 AM
C
Yes, the buckets gave it away. So far we haven't noticed any problems with the actual sealant. That is, it's not tacky or anything. But then, it's cold outside right now. The problem we have is that he got some splash on our garage door and on the concrete lip of the garage. Said he would come back to clean up. And who knows if the sealant is protecting it from anything. We've called the answering service a dozen times or so and it's becoming apparent that we've been dealing with a con and the guy is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the suggestion to call a credible asphalt company for some advice. Where do I report something like this? I have very little information on this guy....his signature probably isn't even his own name.

Old 11-14-08, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
BBB if you have any sort of company name. Fraud dept of the local PD, they probably already know him as well.

It won't be tacky til it warms up.

You could clean the splash on the concrete with acetone or mineral spirits. The door if metal, I'd use Goof Off, WD40 or mineral spirits, test somewhere first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: