Basement Crack

Old 11-23-08, 05:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Crack

I have a home with a V crack in the foundation. It is a poured foundation. The crack starts at a high window and goes all the way down to the footer and back up to the top of the foundation in a V pattern. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I think the crack is very deep and maybe 1 1/2 inches wide at it's widest point. Any HELP would be great!

Old 11-23-08, 08:49 PM
you will probably need to have an engineer look at that if the crack is that wide it would mean major foundation movement and unfortunatly could cost several thousand $$ to repair. how thick is the wall? and is this a basement or just a wall above the foundation? is the house built on the side of a hill or on level ground. what type of soil is the house built on?

Murphy was an optimist

Old 11-24-08, 06:23 AM
Basement Crack

If it were a simple narrow crack that is very common in poured basements it could possibly just be patched and/or filled.

Since you have 2 diagaonal cracks that as much as 1 1/2" wide (that is a lot!), there has been movement and there is likely a structural reason.

Have an engineer look at the wall plus the other walls also since there may be some general movement.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: