Removing concrete & touching up

Old 12-05-08, 01:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing concrete & touching up

Hey all, so we are looking at buying our first house. One big problem is that the entire back yard is all concrete. I've never done any kind of major work around the house and was wondering what the best method is of breaking up and removing concrete. I would guess there is about 600sqft of it we would like removed so we can place grass.
Any ideas on how much it would cost if we hired a company vs if we did it ourselves? About how long would it take?
Also, if we did it ourselves, how do we go about making the edges of concrete that we left look nice and smooth? Is there a concrete sander, or would we use new concrete mix and shape the edges?
Lastly, do cities usually require permits for such work? The house is in the Los Angeles metro area. Thanks!

Old 12-05-08, 09:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you are going to do it yourself, who is going to do the carting? Are you going to rent a dumpster? If you still want to do it, you will need a jack hammer, a sledge hammer, a pick and a pinch bar. Hire one or two workers for the day.

The best way to smooth whatever is left is to frame around it and add some mix to it.

Old 12-05-08, 09:23 PM
J
Thanks for the info Pulpo. I plan on renting a dumpster for a weekend, or longer if necessary. I married into a big family so I've got at least 3 or 4 adult brother-in-laws who would help me out.
So for the framing just use some wood right? also, does adding new cement to older cement increase the change of it breaking off/cracking?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: