grade/bond beams under slab; size?

Old 12-21-08, 11:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Is there a "general" size for grade beams under a slab? My house will be 96' x 44', and I am wondering about stiffening the concrete slab-on-grade floor. That seems way too long for simply a 4" slab w/ mesh, and even w/ added rebar. Is this engineer territory, or can a guy copy someone else who has already been there? We have good soil, the footer will likely be 20" W x 10" thick, w/ 3-#5 rebar, and the four foot foundation wall between footer and slab will be 13" ICFs. One story house, ranch. 60 lb snow load. Thanks. john

Old 12-22-08, 06:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Who designed it in the first place? If you need a second opinion, I would consult another architect but what you described sounds ok.

Construction Overview - Insulated Concrete Forms Installation Guide for Residential and Commercial Builders

Site on ICFs ^^^

Old 12-22-08, 06:21 PM
J
slab only?

I "designed" it, strictly from gut. So you think the slab alone is OK? Perhaps you read quickly and thought I had suggested 20 x 10 grade beams, as I noted for footers?? Thanks. john

Old 12-22-08, 07:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A slab should be fine with the correct footings but I wouldn't take a chance on a design like that without consulting an architect for the simple reason that you can't go back and change it at a later date, not to mention building codes. I know architects want $175 per hour but it's money well spent.

Old 12-22-08, 08:36 PM

Designing by "gut" is a bad approach unless you have a lot of money and no pride. When it comes to a foundation in a severe climate, you especially need professional help. - What really is "good soil"?

Sometimes people get too close to what they are trying to accomplish and can't see the big picture.

You would not think twice about spending a few hundred dollars extra on a nice countertop (5 to 10 year life) that your wife likes, so why not do the permanent foundation right?

Old 12-22-08, 10:46 PM
J
Roger that. I am seeing the engineer as soon as I can get my .CAD file, saved as .DXF, to where he can open it. I love all these different platforms, file types, etc; sure makes life easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: