Summer Projects

Old 01-22-09, 11:08 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Summer Projects

Hello,

Recently purchased a new home - lots of things to do. I am a first time home buyer with very little experience with home improvements.

1. On the side of our home the previous owners laid rocks instead of grass or something more pleasant. I would like to get rid of the rocks and add either grass, brick, or something more appealing. First thing - once I load the rocks into a truck where can I take them? I also eventually want to take away some large chunks of concrete - same question - where do I take them, or who would I call, etc?

2. In our backyard we have some very old steps. I want to tear them out (rotted wood attached to steel rods) and replace. I may need to post a picture. The height is about 5 ft and maybe 8-5 feet length wise. I would like to make the step using concrete or bricks or a combination of concrete, brick, etc. Are the instructions on how to do this online? If not, where do I begin?

3. I have one other project for the summer, which I will post in the yard or gardening section.

Thanks for your help and/or suggestions.

Old 01-22-09, 11:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Depending on where you live, you may be driving down the road and see a sign that says, "Fill Wanted." You can also check those little trader papers that you can pick up for free. Sometimes you see ads for "Fill Wanted."

You can contact the local city or county refuse department and ask where you can dump solid debris. There is usually a dumping fee.

You will need to tear out the rotten steps and dig out the steel rods. You will need to check with local building inspector re: code requirements of height of risers and depth of treads. You may have to have a building permit.

How to Build Concrete Stairs without a Contractor | OnlineTips.org

Building Concrete Steps for Your Yard or Patio - Associated Content

How to make Concrete

Brick Steps

How to Build Brick Porch Steps | eHow.com

Building Brick Patio Steps... Step by Step

Now, that you have read all those links, you may decide that building wooden steps is easier. You can purchase pre-cut stringers as long as they meet local codes for treads and risers.

How to Build Outdoor Stairs | DoItYourself.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: