Complete Fireplace Project

Old 01-25-09, 09:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Complete Fireplace Project

I have a living room where one wall is a floor to ceiling brick fireplace with some built-in cabinets on either side.

My endgame is to have the built-ins still there, drywall on the outside of a new mantel, and the original brick exposed on the inside of the mantel. I also want to place a television over the fireplace. I am aware of viewing angle limitations and heat / soot issues...regretablly there is no better place for the TV due to the slightly awkward layout of the home. Fortunately, I intend to sit far away from the TV (it's a long, narrow room), and I don't really burn anything in the fireplace.

I've done a bunch of reading on the subject...but had trouble finding some of the answers I'm looking for

So my questions are:
-how should i attach the drywall to the brick? directly with some sort of glue? build out a new wall with strapping? should I use something other than drywall like cement board?

-does the mantle sit on top of the drywall, or does the mantle attach to the brick and the drywall go up to the outside of it?

-what should i do now to make managing cords and mounting the television easier later? obviously the more that's hidden, the better

-any general advice or things to plan for?

-pictures of your similar project?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 02-17-09, 06:52 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am in the process of starting a similar remodel. A good source of basic info & ideas is at:

Do it Yourself Fireplace Remodels

Their pics are good for ideas. Their "manual" addresses the stuff you are asking, and provides a logical order to this. It doesn't cover every aspect in tremendous detail, but recovering brick is covered well.

The first question is safety: what kind of FP do you have? With a modern zero-clearance box you have a lot of flexibility. With an old open wood burner, you have a serious fire risk & need to consider flammability & clearances (& local codes) unless you want to convert it (e.g., gas direct vent insert). Even if you survive, you probably don't want to cook your new 70" plasma toy.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: