Rock Wall repair

Old 01-26-09, 12:18 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rock Wall repair

I live in OK and have a rock wall in my 30 yr old home and am trying to repair three rocks that had to come out for some ceiling repairs. The grout is a brown color to match the rocks. The rocks appear to have a coating on top that gives it a sheen look. I need to find out what type of coating was used so the new grout doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Thoughts? Thank you.

Old 01-26-09, 01:54 PM
S
Can you check with the people who did it?
Its probably a masonry sealer that doesn't penetrate. It stays on the surface giving you that sheen. It shouldn't be hard to match. Find a local supply yard they will be able to point you in the right direction.

It's always a good idea to test before you apply to your wall. When you reinstall your stones set aside enough mortar to make an egg size mortar ball or two. Let the new work and your egg cure. When you are ready to reseal, first apply sealer to your mortar egg. Once the sealer is dry on your sample egg you can determine if you have a match.
Hope this helps!

Old 01-28-09, 06:48 AM
K
Thanks for the recommendation and great idea. The rock wall was put up by 2 previous owners ago and there is currently only one mason in our town and they didn't do the job. We only have a Lowes in my town and they don't have any sealant. Where do you recommend I go look? Thx.

Old 01-28-09, 11:23 AM
S
Try calling A hardware store (Ace or True value), Paint supply,Industrial supply, Building/construction supply yard, Masonry supply are a few off the top on my head. Rummage through the phone book or use your PC to get your local phone directory to see whats around.

From what I gather from your post your wall has a wet look or a shellac to it. That would lead me to believe Its a water based acrylic sealer. It dries clear, but it darkens or deepens the look of the material you are sealing a shade or two. You can get a subtle satin finish to a high gloss finish depending on what is needed. It's a film forming sealer, meaning it creates a impermeable shell on the surface of the material which gives you that sheen. I would try this type of sealer first on one side of your dinosaur egg. Apply 2 coats let it dry and go from there.
Good luck with the project!

Old 01-28-09, 06:52 PM
K
Sounds great. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: